Canada’s Most Spectacular
A Canadian tourism icon. Located near the Rocky Mountains and Canadian National Parks, Jumbo Glacier Resort is unlike any other in North America. With four large glaciers, the highest elevation in Canada and the largest vertical drop in North America, the project will provide sightseers with spectacular views of the glaciers at high elevations and will permit year-round skiing and snowboarding in an ideal climate.
The project underwent the most extensive approval process of its kind in North America, spanning two decades. Pheidias successfully steered the project through four major approval processes.
These included a major regional land use review process, a complex Environmental Assessment Act review process, a master plan approval process and a master development agreement process. Pheidias also negotiated the creation of a new Mountain Resort Municipality to facilitate governance and permitting for the greenfield project, the first of its kind in British Columbia.
The project incorporates leading environmental management measures and sustainability features and enjoys the support of the Shuswap First Nations. The project area has been used as a test site for summer ski training by the Canadian national ski team.
- Development area: 104 Hectares (257 acres)
- Controlled Recreation Area: 5,925 hectares (14,641 acres)
- 20-23 lifts at buildout
- 6,250 bed units
- $1.4 billion total investment at buildout (2014 dollars)
- 25 year buildout in three phases
- Construction start: 2014
- Master planning
- Architectural design
- Approval process management
- Management consulting
- Project finance consulting and facilitation
- First Nations relations
- Advertising & public relations
- Project management
Milestones and Outcomes
- East Kootenay Land Use Approval
- Environmental Assessment Act review certificate
- Master Plan approval
- Master Development Agreement
- Mountain Resort Municipality established
- First approval of a greenfield mountain resort development in British Columbia in 45 years.